A Cox Architecture-designed tower that will incorporate a significant Art Deco facade has been approved for King William Street in the heart of Adelaide.
The 15-storey retail and commercial development will sit between King William Street and James Place, close to Rundle Mall. It will involve the demolition of the existing buildings at the Southern Cross Arcade site, but the retention of the state heritage-listed façade at 64 King William Street.
Known as the Sands and McDougall building for its association with the stationery firm, the heritage building was originally constructed in the 1880s, but was later altered by and Adelaide architectural firm Claridge, Bruer and Fisher in the Art Deco style, with the alteration being completed in 1933.
Cox Architecture’s design splits the built form into two elements, podium and tower, with the podium levels respectfully acknowledging the heritage context.
“The presentation of the podium to King William Street is both a contextual and contemporary response to the formal character, scale and sandstone materiality synonymous with King William Street,” state the architects in planning documents. “The materiality of the podium transitions from sandstone to textural brickwork reflecting the finer grain qualities of James Place and Clarence Place.”
The podium will contain a mix of public realm, retail, food and beverage offering, end of trip facilities and contemporary office spaces.
Above the masonry podium will be 13 levels of contemporary office space enveloped in large-format high performance glazing. Integrated sun shading devices distributed gradually up the tower and dissipating on the upper levels will provide visual contrast to the primarily glazed façade and reference the masonry materiality of the podium.
Charter Hall is the developer behind the project, which will deliver 40,000 square metres of office space.
South Australia’s Government Architect and Heritage South Australia were supportive of the plans and the State Commision Assesment Panel voted to approve the development on 18 November.
Source: Architecture - architectureau